Wednesday, January 28, 2015

In January

In January

In January,
the world is new.

Confetti and champagne and kisses
mark the natural passing of time,
a rather pointless tradition
if one thinks about it practically,
but January is not about practicality.

January is about symbols and resolutions.

January is hoping, dreaming, praying
to be better, stronger, happier.

January is optimistic.
It is vibrant, fresh, alive.

January is the time to stop and reflect
or rush right ahead into something that shimmers.

It is the time to be thankful that we are still breathing, living, laughing;
because despite everything,
despite November and December,
all those miserable, frigid days,
we have reached the other side.

We may be bruised and battered and broken;
our voices may shake and our hands may tremble,
but we trust that lists scribbled on napkins
and the promise of summer’s return
and the chance to remake ourselves
will save us,
and we are right.

In January,
everything is new,
and we are still breathing.


*****

This is a brand-new piece that I haven't taken the time to tweak/edit/whatever, so I don't think it's a final version, but I'm pleased with what I have so far. I normally don't post anything that I haven't agonized over for awhile, so this is a bit difficult for me, but I hope to do more of this casual write-something-then-post-it-right-away thing in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment